Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Good for the Soul, Good for Your Neighbor

A few weeks ago, as I was diligently cleaning up an overgrown bed in my backyard, I spotted my neighbor, Betsy. I invited her and her lab, Moses, to come over and choose from my selection of evening primrose and black eyed Susan, as I was happy to dig up some and give the rest a little breathing room. For the next hour or so, Betsy and I happily exchanged tidbits about gardening, yard work, pets and other small talk. It was really great to share flowers and conversation.

That same night, I read an article in Real Simple magazine about a group of six friends who called themselves the Wonder Weeders. Every Friday, they would get together at each others homes and use their collective labor to garden as team, rotating houses each week. In short, the article discussed how the group got started--through a simple neighborly gesture--and how it grew into eight years of friendships, not only sharing gardening labor, but also personal triumphs, joys and set backs, and learning from each other as well as learning about themselves.

It was a really inspiring and emotional article (if I could find it online, I'd surely link to it), and it really got me thinking about how powerful gardening can be. It is no wonder why there is a such a strong movement with community gardens, corporate gardens and the like. It doesn't matter if the garden is flowers or vegetables, communities, neighbors and friends are getting together to reap the rewards and enjoy the outcomes, whatever they may be.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...