Saturday, July 9, 2011

PSA: An Important Lesson in Planning

You know how before you do something major outside, you're supposed to call Miss Digg to "know what's below," as to not do any damage to gas and utility lines? Well, the same can be said about gardening. (And, no, my house didn't blow up, and yes, the street still has power.)

I have this little hot spot. Literally, full sun, all day, every day. So, last week I had the grand idea to plant a coneflower garden of all types and colors. I go to Romence Gardens last Monday when they were having 40% perennials (score!) and pick out 10 of the best, in traditional purple and also fuschia, green, orange and yellow.

I get home and I go to work to break up the sod and soil. It's tough, it's hot, I'm working, the grass and weeds are breaking up, and I start to churn the dirt and THUNK. I try a couple more times, THUNK. I haven't quite figured it out, but apparently, that's STILL driveway underneath that narrow strip.

So, the lesson learned is, "know what's below" BEFORE you go out buy your flowers, and/or have a back up plan if your space doesn't work out. Seriously, where am I going to put these?

My "hot spot" pre-dug, now eyesore.















What am I going to do with all of this coneflower?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...