Saturday, March 31, 2012

Gardening (and Guinness) Is Good For You!

Spring clean up around here is no joke. I have a pretty good workout regimen, but I know there's no need to feel guilty when I skip my cardio on the weekends. The raking, the squats, the lunges, the pulling, the pushing, a few hours in and I've burned off breakfast and lunch combined.

We all know that gardening is good for you, mentally, physically and even spiritually.
But, here are some fat-burning facts about gardening that you may not know:

Gardening can burn an average of 167 calories for every 30 minutes, and involves strength and flexibility-building moves. If you're into the heavy-duty activities like hauling around 40-pound bags of soil and digging new beds, you'll torch even more calories.

Some experts believe that gardening and activities involving nature can lower blood pressure, boost immunity and reduce stress. My favorite way to decompress after a long day is pulling weeds. Instant gratification and a perfectly acceptable method of projecting rage.

Getting back to nature can increase your attention span and improve your mood. Combat that multitasking mental fatigue by focusing on a new project like containers, windowboxes or digging a new bed.

Remember to protect yourself while outside. Apply sunscreen and/or bug spray, stay hydrated and lift with your legs, not your back. Etc. Etc. Now go sow some seeds, then grill your burger. Put cheese on mine, I've earned it.


Perfect before-and-after photo op. Yes, that's me and my bottom, working away at the soil (very tough soil).


























And after. Bottom not included, but I assure you, it got a workout.





Sources: 
CNN 
Livestrong 
WebMD

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...